Friday, March 14, 2003

FRIDAY FIVE
1. Do you like talking on the phone? Why or why not?

It depends. I think I'm pretty good on the phone although sometimes I woudlrather hide behind an e-mail if I need to raise something difficult or over which I'm not too confident. But, one of the things I really like about my job is meeting people from outside the organisation. There is too much deadwood where I work; people with small minds and small expectations.

But, I prefer face-to-face so I can pick up body language.

2. Who is the last person you talked to on the phone?

Call centre madness!

3. About how many telephones do you have at home?

One plugged in. One in storage. Hey, it's a small flat.

4. Have you encountered anyone who has really bad phone manners? What happened?

Many times. Although not bad manners, I used to deal with this bloke who had the mouthpiece very close to his mouth. He was a loud talker anyway. So, as soon as I picked up the phone I could hear him breathing! I knew instantly it was him.

5. Would you rather pick up the phone and call someone or write them an e-mail or a letter? Why or why not?

See 1. Unlike Mr "What it is" who always hides behind e-mail and answers his phone like a timid whelk, I use the phone when necessary. I had an irritating game of e-mail tennis recently. The guy down the other end of the office should have got off his bakcside and come talk to me. In the end that's what I did.

:: Posted by pete @ 08:41