Tuesday, March 04, 2003

LIFE IN THE FAST LANE

I shall be fasting today. No, nothing to do with Lent*. I have an appointment tomorrow at King's College Hospital to have a colonoscopy.

Like many white, males in their mid-40s I suffer from undiagnosed digestive problems. I've suffered with this problem for about 18 years. After things getting progressively worse, I decided I needed a gastro-enterologist to have a good ol' poke around in their. Not very pleasant stuff. I'm not looking forward to this and I'm not very optimistic that the doc will find anything. Nevertheless, it is a good idea to get thoroughly checked out.

The preparation for this is not nice either. My breakfast today was two pieces of dry white toast and a cup of black coffee. One piece was the recommended amount, but I'm too greedy. That's the last food I'll have until tomorrow evening. At 12 o'clock I have to take a sachet of Klean-Prep which will scour my bowel. Nice. Another Klean-Prep at 6 and the final sachet at 6 tomorrow morning. No water after 8am tomorrow: and on a normal day I drink my recommended 2 litres. So, around 1pm when I go to the hospital I shall be rather de-hydrated and probably very windy.

You can read about the procedure here, as you don't need to be subjected to all that stuff on my site.

My blog could be interesting as I get hungrier during the day. That is if I bother to update it. I may just click on the boob tube and watch re-runs of Perry Mason.

What happens after this procedure? I don't know. My guess is that it won't find anything and I'll then have to consider dietary changes or possibily some alternative remedies. As I'm already a vegetarian, dietary changes may make life even more complicated!

* - Very bad adult Lent joke here.

:: Posted by pete @ 10:23