Thursday, March 13, 2003

RICHARD THOMPSON AND BAND - SHEPHERD'S BUSH EMPIRE, 11 MARCH

How do you approach going to a gig by someone you've never heard? Not only that: We are talking about an artist often described as England's greatest living singer/songwriter. Tuesday evening we went to see Richard Thompson and his band. Thompson, if you don't know, has been knocking around now for nearly 20 years or more. He's a bit of a folky/rock legend or so they say.

When I saw the gig advertised, I was intrigued. I've seen many glowing reviews of Thompson's gigs and records. So why not give it a punt. But, I kind of forgot about it. Then, about two weeks ago a flyer came through the post from the Festival Hall, on to whose mailing list I'm now firmly planted (like it or not). There was an ad for the Be Good Tanyas - a female trio alt.country band. Tucked in there was another blurb for Thompson at the Bush.

Okay, I thought. Let's give it a try. Again I sort of forgot. But, cruising on line for some other tickets, I checked whether there were seats left. Second level - okay. No answer from my Missus. A few days later, I asked again and she said "yeah, sure". So not very enthusiastic, eh?

Tuesday we chowed down at blah blah blah on the Goldhawk Road. A tasty, if dry sushi selection for me followed by a tasty veg pie; Green salad and Indonesian curry for my partner. Nice meal, bad wine (get a licence, get a licence!).

We caught the end of the support act - a solo singer from Canada (?). Nothing special. I noticed the venue filling up with middle aged, middle class, plump men with bad beards and receding hairlines. Well, at least I've kept slim, have a full head of hair and none of that facial stuff.

On to the main act. After one number, I was impressed. As the gig went on, I was increasingly hooked. Thompson easily moved from rock to folk to blues all delivered in a straight up no nonsense way. During a brief solo bit, he even slipped in a Phil Ochs anti-war song. That went down very well with about 1500 Guardian readers in the audience. It was all excellent, effortless and supremely enjoyable. Thompson was backed by multi-talented, old bloke Pete Zorn on guitar, flute, baritone sax, mandolin and backing vocals. Danny Thompson on bass- unmoving, except his eyebrows and fingers - rock steady. Some session geezer from Texas on the drums. Thompson let rip in the second half of the show with some excellent blues axe which pissed on Clapton. And, the songs. Although it was difficult to follow all the words, all the time, It was pretty clear from song to song that he is a master craftsman.

About an hour and half later, Thompson finished of the last of a blistering solo and off he waltzed nonchalantly. I guess I am now a fan.

There were one or two questions. Why is this guy a superstar? He's certainly talented and has a good, solid following of old blokes with beards. I guess it was part the effortlessness, part the dad like nature of the audience (not as good as '87 - or whatever) and part that he turned his hand to several different styles - rock, blues, folk.

But, once again it proved to me that you've got to take a few chances on gigs. Because sometimes you come up trumps.

See another review.

:: Posted by pete @ 22:31