Thursday, July 03, 2003

PRO CELEBRITY HANGING AROUND

(Thirty-Five brownie points if you guess the reference above)

Last Friday we struggled through the rain to Merchant City in search of lunch. It amazes me that Glasgow restaurants get fully booked at lunchtime. Cafe Gandolfi was and I didn't fancy further schlepping around trying to find anywhere half-decent so we decamped to the new bar upstairs. As we were taking off our wet things, I notice a tall skinny geezer with grey hair and a loud Glaswegian tinged voice. The Big Yin. Billy Connolly, for it was he.

After a grand little trip to New Lanark we went to the West End on Saturday night. Air Organic mixes Sixties kitsch (the airline theme, geddit) and organic food. It's a rather odd mixture with an equally odd eclectic Pan-Asian menu. My couscous was dry and the selection of vegetables in the tempura was a bit bizarre - peppers and some sort of leaf. The watermelon curry was, I'm told, good and I have to say the cheesecake was excellent. Coming from me that's a real compliment as I'm very fussy about cheesecake and usually disappointed.

As we got our first course I noticed a blonde woman in a party of four. I then realised it was Olympic Gold Medal winner (400 metre hurdles at Barcelona) Sally Gunnell. She was in (Scots)toun for the athletics meet where she was commentating for the BBC. And who else was in the party? Why Steve Cram who despite his brilliance never won an Olympic Gold - suffered from competition with Ovett and Coe.

So now I expect celebrities at every Glasgow restaurant.

:: Posted by pete @ 21:58