Monday, August 18, 2003

WELCOME TO KAZAKHSTAN!

Business has brough me to the former capital of Kazakhstan. So, for the next few days there may (or may not) be posts from Central Asia. I've taken some pictures and will try to figure out if I can upload them from the hotel business centre.

My business trips usually turn out to be a bit wierd. This looks like being no exception. First up, I was late leaving home, got stuck in traffic and was a little late a check-in. However, since the airline's Chief Executive was just ahead of me in the queue I guess that didn't matter!

I then managed to lose my business club card, mislay my camera (cheers to the Heathrow Security guys) and leave my bottle of water and biscuits behind in the business lounge. Oh yeah, and I left my bok at home so had to buy a new one (see left).

Oh well, I made it here in one piece, but naturally with a 5:40am arrival, our team was just this side of comotose when we turned up at Almaty International Airport. (Clue, don't believe their web site. The Government ran out of money a few months ago and work on the new terminal stopped then. I'm told that September is the eariest it will open.)

It's nice and steamy here. About 33 deg C and very humid. We had a storm this morning while I tried to get some shut eye. I'm afraid I didn't venture out too much today. My boss and I walked around the amusement park outside. This evening our airline friend took us out for a nice meal at an Itialian restaurant - yep, even here. Apparently, the fresh fish comes from Dubai twice a week. Global economy or something like that.

The aircraft entertainment system was somewhat limited. But, one of the audio channels was playing the re-recorded Tubular Bells - 30th anniversary edition, would you believe. I know it's sad to admit, but I still have a soft spot for Mike Oldfield and Tubular Bells. I guess Richard Branson may have too! it was an interesting and not little emotional experience listening once again to TB. It has been sometime. The original (on CD) still sits on a shelf back home. I don't think I'll buy the newly recorded version, but the original mught get a few more spins. Listening again (and I took the opporutnity to hear it twice through), I was struck at how English sounding the piece is.

Ach! I'm just a boring old fart!

Das vadanya (or whatever they say in Russian).

:: Posted by pete @ 16:22