Wednesday, March 17, 2004

SEVENTEENTH

My contribution to Bear Will Attack's Day 17 project.

--------

This 17th was in some ways a pivotal day. This morning was spent having a handover for m new job. After nearly 20 years of working in the civil service, I have taken a momentous step into the private sector. Despite the trepidation and mad moments of fright in the middle of the night, the anticipation is growing every day.

We spent a couple of hours going through the people and issues that will take up my working life in a couple of weeks time. Needless to say the only way to learn the job is to do it. For a month or so I expect to think what the hell am I doing.

It was a good opportunity to try out a possible route to the new office. However, it involves taking the underground and I've got to say fear of bombs or not I do not cope with the confined space of the London tube. Looks like there will have to be a change of plan.

Back at my current office, I did the usual firefighting. Lunch was a sandwich from Pret instead of brown bagging which is the regular option. In between munches it was blogging time and following the Budget news. Hey 40,000 civil servants to be canned. Too bad I can't hang on for redundancy.

Later on it was time to shoot the breeze with a former member of staff who coincidentally moved to the private sector just a month or so ago. Hey, our little section is hemorrhaging fast.

Back on the overground - thank you - to our little mansion.

Reading matter at the moment is "What Should I Do With My Life?" which sounds terribly like a self-help book. It probably is in a way, but the stories of everyday folk (who just happen to have law degrees from Georgetown) is interesting. And, why not read a book with that title when there is a big upheaval just around the corner.

Home, James!

My turn to cook dinner - Frittata and salad - lifestyle TV and mo' bloggin'.

Plenty of routine today - including day 7 of plant pix - but planning for new routines too.

:: Posted by pete @ 22:19