Sunday, October 31, 2004

"H" IS FOR HOMEBOY

Back in November 2001 I caught Minnesotan melancolists Low at the Union Chapel, up Islington way.

In support were two quirky acts: two parts of the Czars and Hood, highly rated by the mighty Mogwai.

I'm not sure what I was expecting from Hood. Whatever it was didn't match up to their short set. Fronted by two Yorkshire geeks who swapped between bass and electric guitar (one leftie, one rightie) what they lacked in stage presence they made up for in trumps with delightful sonic blasts.

A short time later I got hold of "Cold House" which, IMHO, stands as one of the most underrated releases of the 90s. Locking horns with Anticon adherists cLOUDDEAD, the Yorks lads have created here a beautiful clutch of electronica/folk influenced tracks. Never in yer face; but always in yer mind.

Added to my minidisc was "Rustic Houses, Forlorn Valleys": cool mornings in the Yorkshire Dales.

Eey-opp!

PS - Hood implore all Americans to vote Kerry. I implore you to buy their new EP "The Lost You"

:: Posted by pete @ 20:42