Friday, December 24, 2004

CHRISTMAS IN BLOGGY-LAND

Over at Hot Buttered Death, James is trying to figure out the fiendish King William College quiz, reprinted in the Guardian. Er, I think I got a few more. Viz.

Celebrated its centenary with the opening of new HQ in Vincent Square? [in 1904]
Royal Horticultural Society

[What connects] Wallsend and Bowness?
Hadrian's Wall

Cheriton and Sangatte?
Channel Tunnel

[Who or What] Stretch of water received 257,000 barrels of North Slope Crude on Good Friday?
Prince William Sound, Alaska

[Who achieved, superlatively] 68 - 27 - 90 - 19?
Jim Laker

---

Shmeder is a Pirate.

I am obsessed with those announcement boards on the side of the road. I especially like the ones churches post. My favorite is the Lovingway church just north of that Grease Monkey. A few years ago, I was doing the good old "drive of shame" home after a fun night of debauchery. The sign was perfect for that morning:

The sign of the beast
Sex, Sex, Sex

---

Dustinbinman has moved to Moveable Type.

Best Songs of 2004

Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News
The good thing about the title of this album is that you can change all the words around and it still means the same thing. Probably. I thought this band were Canadian, which meant that I automatically didn't like them without hearing any of their stuff. Then I heard "Float On" and changed my mind. Then I heard that they weren't actually Canadian, but from Seattle, and thought that I'd better not like them again. But I can't help it. It's a fine jangly album. Apparently they've been around for 20,000 years, but this is the first decent thing they've done. Just so you don't go and waste money on their earlier stuff.

No, they've produced plenty of excellent stuff previously. But, "Good News.." is a stonker.

---

And, in other news, I need to update my blogroll as some old friends have moved on or given up the blog habit (lucky them). Aha! A New Year's Resolution!

Humbug!

:: Posted by pete @ 22:00