Tuesday, March 08, 2005

THE EYEFUL TOWER




Today marks the fifth anniversary of the London Eye. Those of you with long enough memories might remember that the Eye, like Paris’s Eiffel Tower, was built with temporary planning permission. It seems amazing as the Eye has quickly become a London landmark. Little chance, it seems now, of the demolition crews moving in to dismantle the wheel.




Friends working for British Airways used to joke that the Eye was they’re most profitable route. I’m sure I read recently that Eye was losing money, but could be wrong.

Back in 2001, I took my sister on the Eye for a birthday treat – at her insistence. Surprising then to see her riveted to her seat as we took to the skies. She’s suffers from motion sickness and was rigid for most of the journey.

Here’s me on that fateful trip.


:: Posted by pete @ 12:13